The 30 Best Mobile App Developers in San Francisco
Looking for a mobile app developer in San Francisco?
You might think this is like looking for a needle in a haystack. After all, San Francisco is (still) the global epicenter of cutting edge technology - especially when it comes to software development.
Mobile app developers here are often trailblazers, setting global standards. With the dense concentration of tech giants and startups, choosing a developer in SF requires serious attention and research.
Before we get into our roundup, here are a few important factors to consider when choosing a San Francisco app developer:
- Experience & Portfolio: Review past projects to gauge the agency's expertise and whether they truly walk the walk
- Tech Stack: Ensure they're proficient in relevant technologies and platforms relevant to your project (React native / Swift / Flutter etc)
- Client Testimonials & Reviews: Past client experiences are crucial for understanding the agency's work quality and ethics
There are also a few important red flags to be aware of. Even in America's technology capital, there are low quality and dishonest companies which you should steer clear of. Here are some signs:
- Too Good to Be True Pricing: Extremely low prices might indicate compromising on quality or hidden costs
- Lack of Transparency: If they're hesitant to share detailed project plans or strategies, be cautious
- Outdated Portfolio: Absence of recent work might indicate they're not up-to-date with current trends and technologies
What is the Process of Working with a San Francisco App Developer?
Each agency has a slightly different process and system for onboarding. Usually though it starts with a discovery phase in which the scope, goals, and process is defined. The next stage will involve creating mock ups, wireframes, and finalizing the UX of the app and development roadmap.
After this, you should be all set. The app will be developed, tested, and finally deployed. If you choose the right app developer, they'll also handle ongoing updates and maintenance work.
How much will it cost, and how long will it take?
You'll notice in our roundup below that many app development agencies in San Francisco (and elsewhere) have minimum project sizes. This really is usually a minimum though, for the most simple apps they typically build. Developers are not cheap, especially in San Francisco where even juniors are often on $100k+.
With that said, here is a rough ballpark:
- Simple Apps: Basic features, limited functionality; a few weeks to 2-3 months. Costs can range from $10,000 to $50,000.
- Medium Complexity Apps: More advanced features like payment integrations, custom UI, and back-end support; 3-6 months. Costs vary between $50,000 to $150,000.
- High-end, Complex Apps: Multi-platform support, high-level interactivity, complex back-end; 6 months to over a year. Starting at $150,000, can go upwards of $500,000.
Choosing an app developer in San Francisco
As we've seen, choosing the right app developer isn't always straightforward.
To help you out, we've made this roundup of the 30 best app developers in. At the end, we're also going to introduce our own app development service, and show you how it's almost definitely a better option for your business.
We chose the agencies below by researching the options on directories like Clutch, and evaluating them on criteria like:
- Mobile app development focus
- Portfolios & past projects
- Reputation and client reviews
We used our own expertise and experience in app development projects to make these recommendations, and we feel confident that each agency listed is capable, competent and professional.
Let's get started on the roundup, before looking at the best alternative to mobile app development agencies - MobiLoud.
So there you have it, the 28 best app developers in San Francisco. It's a pretty impressive selection with a lot of technical talent and experience. However, there are other options you should consider before going with one of these agencies.
The key question - do you even need them?
As we're about to explain, probably not.
Do you really need a app development agency?
As we've seen, there are plenty of app developers in . They'll be happy to chat about your project and are all capable of building what you want - providing you have the budget and are open to a few compromises.
These app developers have their downsides though. For a start, as you can see, they aren't cheap.
The average comes in at $100 per hour, so even to build a fairly simple set of apps you're looking at $50k+. They also tend to be busy with work, and even if they can start working on your apps right away - it'll most likely be 3-6 months to get a first version shipped (minimum). Throughout the process you'll need to work closely with them, checking in on work and communicating with the team.
This is all worth it, of course, to get great apps. But is it necessary?
No - not if you already have a website, online store, or web app.
MobiLoud: More Affordable (and Effective) than any App Developer
If you already have a working app for the web, you don't need a app development agency to build you iOS and Android apps from scratch. You can save tens of thousands of dollars - and months of waiting - by using MobiLoud.
MobiLoud converts your existing website, online store, or web app into native mobile apps in just weeks, for a fraction of the cost of an agency.
There's no long wait times, no six-figure invoices, and no need to compromise on your apps' features and functionalities. MobiLoud apps:
- Allow you to reuse everything from your website or web app (all features, plugins, integrations)
- Blend the best of the web with the best of native app technology
- Require minimum time and zero technical skill to manage
Compared to a app development agency, using MobiLoud can easily save you 90% of the cost and months of effort.
We can build you any kind of app, so long as you have an existing website or web app to provide the content. We've built thousands of apps over the years, for:
- Digital publishers like Foreign Policy, Simple Flying, and Deeper Blue
- eCommerce brands like Rainbow Shops, Bestseller, and John Varvatos
- Startups like Givi, RespiTrac, and Gear2Go
And pretty much any other vertical you can think of!
It doesn't matter whether you're located in or anywhere else. Our global team are always just an email (or a call) away to support your business.
Ready to learn more? The process starts with a no-strings demo, where one of our team will explain the entire process to you.
Let's get your brand on the app stores.....