Looking for an AppPresser alternative? In this post we’re going to compare our own service, MobiLoud Canvas, with another well-known mobile app solution – AppPresser.
This article is for you if you have a WordPress site that is not a news, blog or content site or a WooCommerce store. If that describes you check out MobiLoud News or MobiLoud Canvas for Ecommerce.
With that out of the way, let’s get started. We’re going to strive to give an objective and factual comparison between MobiLoud Canvas and AppPresser, and show why we believe that Canvas is a more flexible, hassle-free alternative.
How is MobiLoud an AppPresser alternative?
At first you may think MobiLoud and AppPresser are quite similar. After all, both allow you to build mobile apps from a WordPress site through a specialized plugin and platform. Both allow you to build mobile apps from BuddyBoss, PeepSo, LearnDash, or any other WordPress site – faster and more affordably than if you tried to do from scratch. Both can get you solid apps.
There are key differences that you should consider before deciding which is right for you though. The main differences between AppPresser and MobiLoud Canvas are as follows.
- Canvas is more efficient – Canvas can get you launched on the App Stores in two weeks, with minimal work on your part. With AppPresser this is theoretically possible, but since it’s on you to build the apps and involves a lot of fiddling – it would be a challenge to get there so fast while guaranteeing a solid result.
- Canvas lets you keep what you already have – with AppPresser you will use their pre-built theme and the integrations they have for major plugins. With Canvas you can keep your existing theme, or use a different one for the app – and all your existing plugins will work straight out of the box.
- Canvas is less hassle – with AppPresser you will need to be ready for some tinkering and fiddling to get the apps set up, and you will struggle if you are not somewhat technical.
- Canvas is more of a service – while AppPresser provides support through an email ticket system. At MobiLoud we have hands-on, personalized support through email, Zoom or Slack. Most customers also go for our Full Service package, where we build, configure and publish the apps for you completely to your specification.
- Canvas is lower risk – AppPresser offers a 14 day trial. You’ll struggle to build, test and publish the apps in this timeframe, so it won’t be long enough to really know you’ve made the right choice. We offer a 60 day full money back guarantee, more than enough time to know if it’s going to work out. If you aren’t happy with your apps for any reason, you’ll get your money back.
- AppPresser is cheaper – there is a difference in price point between MobiLoud Canvas and AppPresser. It’s up to you to decide if the advantages of Canvas over AppPresser make up for that, but in the view of many of our customers who have tried both – it’s more than worth it.
These are the essential differences. AppPresser is a good platform – but MobiLoud Canvas is a great AppPresser alternative because we do what AppPresser does, and more, in a way that is easier and lower risk on your end.
With that out of the way, read on for a more in-depth breakdown of the key similarities and differences.
MobiLoud Canvas vs AppPresser – how do they work?
Let’s start out with some key points about how AppPresser and MobiLoud Canvas work, so that we have some content to evaluate the differences.
How AppPresser works
AppPresser is an app builder for WordPress, but it isn’t a straight up conversion process. The apps are separate from your site, built with AppPresser’s theme and the ionic framework. The apps pull WordPress content from your site to display within the apps, and does so in two main ways.
Firstly, an API will pull content from WordPress to the AppPresser plugin, which will then be available in the apps. This is fast, but is limited as you can’t use custom plugins or interactivity through an API without a lot of custom development work. iFrames are also used to display some web content that cannot be pulled through the API.
Essentially, think of an AppPresser app as a pre-built shell that pulls specific content from your WordPress site through the plugin to display in the app
How MobiLoud Canvas works
As an AppPresser alternative, MobiLoud Canvas works differently on a technical level. Canvas does not use APIs to pull content from your site. Rather, Canvas uses webviews to wrap your site in a native “shell”. Think of it like a dedicated browser for your WordPress site.
Canvas apps are not just websites in a box though. Over 7 years and 1000+ apps, we’ve added all the native parts needed for a good app user experience – like a native tab bar and navigation, a message center, splash screens, and more.
The end result, like with AppPresser, is a hybrid app – a mixture of native and web that strives to give a great app experience on the front end while using the website as the back-end. Unlike AppPresser, though, you get to reuse the main interface and functionality of your site, all plugins, and any elements of your theme, out of the box.
Why is MobiLoud Canvas the best AppPresser Alternative?
Now that we’ve seen very briefly how the two platforms differ on a technological level, we can start to see the functional differences too, and why Canvas makes a good AppPresser alternative.
With Canvas – you can keep what you’ve already built
With AppPresser you cannot use your existing theme. In their own words:
“The app is completely separate from your website, it does not use your theme or design. Think of the app as a shell that pulls in your content and displays it in different app-specific templates”AppPresser FAQ
Sure you can customize the template, but it is still a template. Will you be able to completely recreate the UX and feel of your existing site and theme through the template? Probably not.
With Canvas on the other hand you can keep your existing theme, and make use of all it’s functionality and design. The apps will fit naturally into the branding and UX on your site, because they are your site, in app form.
With plugins it’s a similar story. While AppPresser does a good job of taking functionality from major WordPress plugins, they are limited to what they have already built a specific integration for.
If your site takes functionality from a unsupported plugin, or third-party platform – you either have to accept that it won’t work in the apps or pay AppPresser to do custom work to integrate it. They do not take on small projects, so you’re looking at a minimum of $20,000.
Canvas on the other hand let’s you use all your existing plugins in the apps – straight out of the box. If it works on the mobile web, it’ll work great in the Android and iOS apps too.
If you ever see a plugin for WordPress in the future that you think could enhance your apps, you just need to configure it on your site and speak to our team about using it in the apps. With Canvas it’s all possible.
There’s nothing to rebuild, no loss of site features, no restrictive templates, and no limits on plugins you can leverage into the apps. For these reasons – Canvas is a more flexible and adaptable AppPresser alternative.
MobiLoud has a more user-centered business model
AppPresser support works on a ticket-based system, Monday to Friday during normal EST business hours, and they try to respond within 24 hours. They offer technical assistance and advice, but do not actively work on fixes or configurations on your behalf. If you are not a developer you can expect to spend quite some time interacting with their support team.
At MobiLoud we work with you to bring your Canvas apps to life. From the initial roadmapping session to post-launch upgrades and maintenance, we’ll be there to offer hands-on support. You’ll have access to our developers via email, Slack or Zoom if needed, and we put in all the technical work needed to make your apps a success.
You’ll know our team members by name, and we’ll never make you wait more than a couple of hours for help no matter what day it is. If you look check out our reviews on Capterra or G2Crowd – you’ll see the quality of our support as a common thread.
In summary, AppPresser is more of a DIY approach, but MobiLoud Canvas is more like you’re outsourcing the heavy work to a team of experts. If you are not highly technical yourself, this will save you significant time, money and stress.
Canvas is a less risky AppPresser alternative
Canvas is a great AppPresser alternative if you want to minimize risk and headaches.
With AppPresser it is possible that you’ll spend many weeks or even months tinkering with their platform trying to bring your ideas to life. Then you have to test the apps, and prepare them for submission to the App Stores.
This is risky. AppPresser offers a 14-day free trial, but it is not at all clear whether you’d be able to build, test, and publish the apps on Google Play and the App Store within 14 days. AppPresser assist with App Store submission, but they do not guarantee approval.
How will you truly know whether you are happy with the apps before the free trial expires? If you aren’t later on, AppPresser does not offer refunds – so you will have lost time and money.
With Canvas this risk is eliminated. Not only do we handle testing the apps and App Store submission on your behalf, but we guarantee approval and a successful launch. If Apple has some problem with the apps, we handle communication with them and resolve any issues.
You’ll also know 100% whether Canvas is right for you, before you take on any risk. We offer a 60-day guarantee. If you want to cancel for any reason within this period we refund you 100%. This is 4x longer than AppPresser, and more than long enough to see the apps in action and in the hands of your users so you’ll truly know whether Canvas is for you!
We guarantee a great result, and a successful launch – or your money back. You will know exactly what you are getting before the 60 day period is up. For this reason Canvas is a far less risky AppPresser alternative.
Canvas is a hassle-free AppPresser alternative
AppPresser is better for technically minded individuals that are up for a bit of tinkering and are confident that they can build what they need on the platform. As we covered in the last sections, this is not guaranteed and it is on you to make it happen. AppPresser do not build anything for you, they give you access to their platform – and if you can’t get the result you want you’re either out of luck or need to pay them five-figures plus to do the job for you.
MobiLoud Canvas is a great AppPresser alternative here for those who want not only a guaranteed result, but minimal hassle.
Make your life easier
You’ll go over all your requirements on a call with one of our experts when you sign up, and we’ll go over the process in detail. You’ll then use our no-code interface to configure the apps, customizing them to your brand and setting up key features like push notifications, ratings reminders, and the navigation and menus.
We’re on hand to help out with any part of this process. You also have a code editor to inject custom CSS into the apps if you want, but there is no coding or technical skill required. When you’re done our team gets to work building the apps on our platform. They will be ready for you to test within a week, and ready to submit to the App Stores in under two. We also test them thoroughly to make sure they are up to scratch.
This process is all very straightforward – as you’ll keep the features and functionality from your site, there’s no need for you to build the wheel. You just add and set up the “native bits” how you like. There’s a way to make it even easier though.
Full service options
Over 80% of our customers opt for our Full Service package for a one-off fee of $1350. On Full Service we configure the apps for you to your exact specifications, undertake small customizations, and generally handle the process for you completely. Our designers also take care of all the visual assets that need to be created for App Store submission – like icons and splash screens – so there’s really little for you to do except test the apps and make sure you’re happy with everything.
To get a comparable level of service from AppPresser – you would need to be on their custom apps plan starting at $20,000. Otherwise you’ll have a lot of fiddling, a lot of work preparing and testing for the submission, and you’d get little hands-on support with it.
For these reasons we think it’s reasonable to conclude that MobiLoud Canvas is a great AppPresser alternative if you want a more simple, headache-free route to the App Stores.
AppPresser vs MobiLoud Canvas pricing
Let’s have a look at AppPresser pricing vs MobiLoud.
- AppPresser’s pricing starts at $59/m on the standard plan, rising to $79/m for Professional and $129/m for Advanced – all paid annually. You can check out more about the plans here.
- MobiLoud Canvas pricing starts at $80/m for early stage startups. Moving up the tiers, Startup is $160/m, Growth is $270/m, and Corporate starts at $400/m. You can read more about MobiLoud’s pricing here.
MobiLoud is more expensive than AppPresser. Why is that? The fundamental reason is that we take a more active role in the app development process, and operate more of a service while AppPresser is closer to a pure SAAS model. Our platform is also more flexible, and far more convenient to use.
With MobiLoud you aren’t just paying for the software itself, you’re paying to outsource everything to a team of app developers that handle the channel for you while guaranteeing a great result.
It’s up to you whether price is a deciding factor for you. While MobiLoud is more expensive – the additional investment will likely pay for itself by:
- Saving you significant time, stress and effort
- Giving you freedom to integrate your theme and plugins
- Cutting down on work for your team
It all comes down to what you value the most and what’s right for your business! If you want fast support, easy plugin integration, and a full service – MobiLoud is actually more affordable – since you’d only really get that on AppPressers five-figure custom plan.
Let’s move on and look at some Canvas and AppPresser examples.
AppPresser example apps vs Canvas example apps
We checked out AppPresser’s showcase to get a good idea of some of the apps built on their platform. We’ll summarize a few and contrast them with how the apps would have looked with Canvas.
AppPresser example apps
Here are a few AppPresser example apps. Check out their showcase for more.
- The Art of Manliness (iOS/Android) is a good AppPresser example app. The app gets generally good reviews – but some users complain about the lack of functionality for search, article navigation, and sharing. If AOM had built with Canvas – native sharing would have been built into the apps as well as search functionality. They could have kept the same article structure as the site as there are no templates!
- All Star Project’s Connected Community (iOS) is another good AppPresser example app. The app works well – however to integrate the WP Jobs Manager WordPress plugin required the AppPresser team to launch a custom project which would have cost a minimum of $20,000. If you use this plugin yourself – Canvas can integrate it into the apps straight out of the box!
Canvas example apps
For Canvas example apps, here are a few of our customers that used Canvas to build great mobile apps from their WordPress sites.
- Tech-Talk (iOS/Android) – built unique apps with Canvas, integrating complex functionality from their site.
- Michael Hyatt & Co (iOS/Android) – used Canvas to create their flagship LeaderBooks apps, based off their WordPress website
If you want to see more take a look at our case studies.
Is Canvas the AppPresser alternative for you?
We’ve tried to give AppPresser a fair hearing, and done our best to show why we think Canvas is a superior AppPresser alternative for certain businesses.
In summary, Canvas is a better AppPresser alternative if:
- You want to keep everything from your site, including your theme and plugins
- You are looking for a hands-on service, not just a tool
- You want to mitigate risk and be confident of a guaranteed result
- You don’t want technical challenges, and want the tricky bits done for you
- You are happy with an app that mirrors the essential features of your site
- You want unlimited push notifications on iOS and Android
Our platform has been used to build over 1200 apps, enjoyed by millions of users. If you think MobiLoud Canvas is the AppPresser alternative for you – book a demo with one of our experts and get your business to the App Stores too.
Let’s start building, Book a demo today!