At first you may think MobiLoud and AppPresser are quite similar. After all, both allow you to build mobile apps from a WordPress site. Both allow you to build mobile apps from a WooCommerce, BuddyBoss or LearnDash site – far faster and more affordably than if you tried to do it yourself.
This is where the similarities end though. There are many key differences that you should consider before deciding which is right for you.
The main differences are as follows.
- Although we focus on the WordPress space, MobiLoud has solutions for any site or web app. AppPresser focus exclusively on WordPress.
- AppPresser is an app builder platform that lets you convert your WordPress site into a hybrid app – MobiLoud has different products for different use cases. Our Canvas platform let’s you build hybrid apps from any site, News is for digital publishers to build native content apps, and Commerce is for WooCommerce stores to build native shopping apps. We also convert your site into a Progressive Web App.
- AppPresser operates on more of a tool/SAAS model. You use their plugin and platform to build the apps yourself, and some technical knowhow is required. They will help you out through their ticket-based support, but you’ll need to put in a bit of work to configure and build the apps. MobiLoud is closer to a service – we provide fast and personalised support with all aspects of your app project, and we 100% handle submission and publishing to the App Stores. We also handle ongoing updates and maintenance for the lifetime of the apps.
- With AppPresser – you are somewhat limited to using their custom theme and pre-built plugin integrations. This may not be any issue – but if you have a specific theme or plugin from the web that you want to use in the apps, you might be disappointed. With MobiLoud you can integrate any WordPress plugin or feature from your site out of the box (with Canvas), and we have prebuilt integrations for dozens of third party tools and plugins for Commerce and News.
With that out of the way, read on for a more in-depth breakdown of the key similarities and differences.
- What is AppPresser
- How does AppPresser work?
- AppPresser Pricing
- AppPresser Alternatives
- AppPresser Customer Reviews
- What is MobiLoud?
- MobiLoud Key Features
- MobiLoud Pricing
- MobiLoud Customer Reviews
- AppPresser vs MobiLoud Summary
We’ll take a look at each solution in detail, covering: how they work, who they’re aimed at, key features, pricing and customer reviews.
Let’s start with AppPresser.
What is AppPresser?
AppPresser is a mobile app builder based on a set of WordPress themes and plugins. It allows you to build an apps for iOS and Android through the builder, then connect the apps to your WordPress site with the AppPresser WordPress plugin. AppPresser provides a quick and affordable route from WordPress to hybrid app.
Who is it for?
AppPresser is designed for experienced WordPress site owners or developers who want to build a hybrid app with WordPress as the backend.
They market themselves as a WordPress “app builder”, more of a tool than a service – so it’s on you to actually go through the configuration and build process and submit your apps to Google Play and the App Store. If you’re comfortable modifying a WordPress theme, generating push certificates and submitting an app to the stores, it might be a good option for you. Familiarity with APIs, iFrames, and PhoneGap will also come in handy.
AppPresser is solid for a developer or agency that wants to build apps for clients, if they are comfortable with building the app by modifying one of AppPresser’s themes. App development or web agencies could scale app creation for WordPress clients well using AppPresser – a much easier route than building apps from scratch.
It works best for e-commerce, social or elearning sites using the plugins AppPresser already integrated: WooCommerce, BuddyPress and LearnDash. It’s up to you to create your app – but if you want to get your hands a little dirty you can create a functional and well designed app.
How does it work?
AppPresser uses a WordPress plugin to let you add pages and components to your app. You’ll create the app yourself, by either editing their themes or configuring their elements, like you do for a normal WordPress theme.
If you’ve edited and customized a WordPress theme before, then you should be able to customize one of AppPresser’s themes for your app – provided your site is built with WooCommerce, BuddyPress or LearnDash and you don’t need any custom functionality. Anything that doesn’t come out of the box will require you to develop the feature or integration. For this reason, it’s best for a developer or agency.
With AppPresser you then have to use PhoneGap to compile your app into binary files that you can then submit to the App Stores. Submissions to the Apple App Store will require using a Mac app called application loader, which Apple distributes for free (so you don’t need to use Xcode).
AppPresser is compatible with some major WordPress plugins. On their website they highlight they support WooCommerce, BuddyPress, Gravity Forms, Restrict Content Pro, and LearnDash. This is why AppPresser can be a good option for building an Elearning, Ecommerce or social app.
Unlike MobiLoud though, which can create custom code for you, their solution is not tailored – so the plugin compatibility is limited to those they provide a pre-built integration for.
If you only require the above plugins in your app, then your AppPresser app should work well, but they don’t officially support any other plugins. AppPresser do have custom plans and can presumably build whatever integrations you need through custom development.
In terms of testing your app, PhoneGap allows you to test your mobile app before launching it on the App Stores (you’ll need some technical know how to get it packaged and launched).
When you’re happy with everything it’s time to submit the app for publishing to the App Store and Google Play. For most users it’s on you to go through the submission process, but if you’re on one of their highest plans they’ll provide one submission to the stores – further updates will require you to do the work or pay for their assistance.
If you’ve previously gone through the submission process this won’t bother you – you’ll know that there’s sometimes some fiddly tweaks and updates you need to make to get accepted – but if not it might be somewhat daunting. Also don’t forget that you’ll need to use a Mac to submit an iOS app to the App Store.
If your app gets rejected on the first submission – you’ll need to research what needs to be fixed to get it approved, which can be a tedious process. AppPresser do include an App Store submission service on all annual plans. If you’re on the standard monthly – they’ll submit your app for an additional $199 on top of your existing subscription. Also worth noting is that you pay purely for the manual submission – they don’t guarantee that the app will be accepted, and you may need to resubmit it yourself.
If you’re comfortable with handling the development and submission process from start to finish, and being fully accountable for the end result – AppPresser could be the ideal solution for you. Those able to build more complex WordPress sites should be able to use AppPresser, provided it’s themes and built-in components provide all the functionality you need. Anything going beyond this though will require custom development and the skills of a WordPress developer.
If you don’t want to build your app yourself AppPresser also offers custom app development services, with prices starting at $20,000 for an app. When building something with a structured builder like AppPresser you never know when you can run into roadblocks. However their support should be able to help out if something is not clear in the documentation.
AppPresser has a tiered pricing structure. Annual plans start at $708/yr, rising to $948/yr for professional $1,548/yr for the advanced plan.
The standard tier will give you access to the platform’s core and extra features and lets you send push notifications to 10,000 devices. It will also allow you to use the WooCommerce, BuddyPress, LearnDash and Membership integrations.
If you need advanced notification features (which we provide as standard), in-app purchases, Apple/Google logins, or to send notifications to more than 10K devices – you’ll need to go with the Professional or Advanced plans.
It’s worth noting here that none of their plans include configuration of the app. If you need AppPresser to build and configure the app they offer that service from $20,000 and up. For more detailed information on AppPresser’s pricing take a look here.
The main alternatives to AppPresser are other WordPress to app solutions:
To get a better idea of their solution, we took a look at what AppPresser customers have to say. Many of their customers are happy with their experience.
Katrien Moore writes that she “found AppPresser great to work with – it works well and delivered a well laid out, functional, easy to use app”. She goes on to call the support “second to none”. Ron Horne echoes the same sentiment. He recalls that it “only took about a day to layout the guts of my app”.
He goes on that while “there was much more coding to fill in, it seemed very intuitive to pull all the pieces together. Works nicely with other WordPress plugins for things like calendars, events, reservations, and feeds”. Another reviewer states that “like anything, you get out of AppPresser what you put in….. Developing your app can be as simple or complex as you want to make it…… The built in preview device makes editing and reviewing style and design quicker than ever”.
A lot of reviewers are positive about AppPresser’s support. Michael says that the customer support is “pretty good overall, the team is knowledgeable and reply within 24 – 48 hours”.
We can see that AppPresser provide a quality product and good support for their customers. Now we’ve covered AppPresser thoroughly, let’s move on and take a look at MobiLoud.
What is MobiLoud?
Firstly, MobiLoud is not just one solution. Over the last 7 years, we’ve added several different products for different needs.
- Canvas – our platform based on webview technology that converts any website or web app into iOS and Android apps, while adding all the elements to ensure a great user experience and real business results
- News – for WordPress based digital publishers to build fully native news apps as good as The New York Times in just weeks at a fraction of the usual cost
- Commerce – for WooCommerce online stores to build powerful native eCommerce apps that sync 100% with their site
Over 1000 apps have been built with MobiLoud – they’ve had millions of downloads and are packed with all the tools and integrations that business owners need to be successful on mobile.
Essentially, we convert your existing site and content into a powerful native app, so your readers, users and customers can get the fast intuitive experience they want when using a mobile device. You’ve already done the legwork creating popular content and building a successful site, so we believe there’s no need to reinvent the wheel.
We let you take your already winning formula and apply it through native channels – pleasing your fans and driving more traffic, engagement and revenue for your brand.
How it works
Whereas AppPresser is more of a “DIY” platform – MobiLoud is more of a service. The process begins with a chat between you and one of our app experts – going over your goals, key requirements and answering any questions you have.
Once everything is clarified, and we have a vision to work with – we can get to work on the build. If you have a WordPress news site you’ll go with News, if you’re a WooCommerce store you’ll go with Commerce – and if you have any other kind of site or web app you’ll use Canvas.
These all work slightly differently – you can read more about how Canvas works here and why it’s the best way to convert a site to an app here. Whereas Canvas uses webview technology to convert your site into an app – News and Commerce build completely native apps that pull content from your existing WordPress site.
The end result for all is similar in a broad sense. Fast, feature rich apps that sync 100% with your existing site, built in just weeks for 10% of the cost of native development. The depth of integration between site and app though is deeper with MobiLoud.
Unlike AppPresser, we also help you out a lot with the build and configuration – and can even do it for you completely. You don’t need to touch a line of code or fiddle with any of the technicalities. Even so you’ll have ample opportunity to add any customizations or features you want throughout the process.
Virtually any part of your site, plugin or content can be made available in the app. It’s not magic, we have a team a developers that will customize the app for you, from basic design changes to integrating different parts of your site in the app.
Why it’s different
Unlike other mobile app solutions, MobiLoud is a platform that can create apps worthy of an international brand. We also take a far more ‘hands on’ approach to support, we’re more like your mobile partners than a pure SAAS provider.
Each of our products is designed with a specific user in mind, and offers a unique set of features, such as ad network integrations, in-app purchase integration for subscriptions, login support and integrations with major WordPress plugins and features. We handle all testing of the apps, and take care of working with Apple and Google to guarantee that your app is approved.
It’s a platform and a complete service, so there’s nothing new to figure out for you or your team – your workflows remain unchanged – content updates automatically and push notifications can be sent automatically for every new post.
There’s no need to involve your developers, unless you want to, our own team will take care of everything technical for you, including any customizations you might need.
Our deep integration with WordPress is also unmatched and gives us the ability to bring any functionality and content from your site to your app. Like AppPresser – we also can create awesome apps from LearnDash, BuddyBoss, and WooCommerce sites.
The apps will update automatically and be completely synchronised with your website.
The end result
You’ll have an app you can be proud of – with the UX and features you’d expect from an international brand – having spent a fraction of the time and money you would building it yourself or through an agency.
Managing things is simple going forward, as you’ll handle everything through your existing WordPress admin panel and we’ll be on hand to help out whenever needed. Each app can be customized depending on the plan and product – so any of your plugins and all your content will work in your app.
We’ll never leave your side and our personalised support will quickly deal with any tweaks, updates or maintenance needed. When you work with MobiLoud you get a team of developers and app experts at your service to make your app a success; you can build an app with the website you already have, and there’s nothing new to learn.
Past clients love how our apps have helped them to:
- Offer a better user experience
- Boost traffic and engagement
- Increase loyalty
- Make more money through ad network optimization
- Get a top quality native app with minimal time, expense and stress
- Add a powerful new channel that you 100% own – completely white label apps, styled and customized to your exact requirements
- Increase engagement and drive more traffic with Push Notifications – Use rich push notifications to alert your audience and customers automatically when you publish new content or manually whenever you see fit
- Maximise Ad revenue – We integrate your app with Admob, Mopub, Facebook Audience Network, Ad Exchange, AppNexus and more
- Boost Convesions – our eCommerce apps are designed to maximise conversion and LTV
- Manage your app easily – through our simple but powerful WordPress integration
- Drive subscription revenue – by offering premium content behind paywalls, giving readers the option to subscribe to remove ads, and integration with in-app purchases on iOS and Android
- Peace of mind, no stress – our tried and tested solution takes all the hassle away. It works wonderfully for hundreds of news publishers and it will work for you too!
- Build your app faster and for less – save months and tens of thousands compared to working with an agency or internal developers to build your app, without compromising on features, thanks to an established platform designed exactly for your use case
As you can see, MobiLoud is designed for high-traffic sites and supports a number of mobile app specific advertising, membership engagement and analytics features – as well as other features to help you toward success.
Our plans range from $150/month for web apps and eCommerce, social and eLearning sites.
For News Publishers our Publisher Program gets you iOS and Android apps with all the trimmings for no upfront cost. On the Publisher Program, we share some of the revenue from your apps (that you wouldn’t get without them).
Learn more on our pricing page.
MobiLoud Customer Reviews
Our clients want a seamless path from WordPress site to high-performance native app – and we satisfy them by providing this exact solution.
Stephan W recalls in his Capterra review:
“MobiLoud was all about getting content out of WordPress and into a native app specifically branded for us – this was by far the most important thing for us”
John, longtime MobiLoud customer and co-founder of a digital media company agrees:
“It just works. We can use our existing WordPress install and have our material presented in a beautiful way on both iOS and Android……. We worked for a year trying to create our own app – and then decided to go with MobiLoud and haven’t looked back. We’ve been happy customers for over three years and our readers love our iOS and Android apps”
Others, like Josh, love the simplicity of managing their new app.
“Simple to navigate the backend, great at sending alerts and notifications”
He goes on to explain how our customer service was always there to smooth over any bumps on the road: “I needed a bit of help on some advanced customizations – however the team was extremely easy to work with. EXCELLENT customer service. They made sure I was totally satisfied, which I appreciate”
Walter, a web designer in the publishing industry explained that “it has also grown our advertising revenue as we can use the app with Adsense and that has become our top performing advertising platform via the app”.
As far as our support – you’ll notice a positive common thread in our reviews. We never leave your side and provide a fast and personalized service.
Stephan W, a Vice President of Client Services was also pleased. He called our service standards “amazing”, going on to add that our team “work tirelessly to ensure you are happy with your apps. We can’t recommend MobiLoud enough”.
MobiLoud vs AppPresser
Throughout this article, we’ve uncovered some key differences between MobiLoud and AppPresser. We’ve seen that while they are both high quality solutions for creating mobile apps, they’re aimed at different users.
Let’s recap why.
- MobiLoud can convert any website or web app into iOS and Android apps – although we focus primarily on WordPress based digital publishers, WooCommerce online stores, and social and eLearning sites. AppPresser is a WordPress only platform.
- MobiLoud is more simple to use and requires very little technical knowhow – it is a straight up conversion in most cases, and our team will work with you on any more complex aspects. AppPresser is a tool that you use to create your app yourself or hire someone to do so – the responsibility to build it is all on you, unless you go for a $20k+ custom app.
- MobiLoud uses custom code for every project allowing us to support any plugin or feature you need for your app – AppPresser supports several major plugins out of the box, but since it’s a tool, this support is limited to modules they already built – although they can go further with their custom plan.
- MobiLoud builds fully native apps (in the case of News and Commerce) or Webview apps (Canvas) – AppPresser creates hybrid apps using Phonegap. Native apps will offer better performance and a smooth, intuitive user experience that users have come to expect from high quality apps.
If you want to build an Elearning, Ecommerce or Social app based around your WordPress site, both can get you there – but MobiLoud is more suitable if you want a “hands off” experience. AppPresser is good if you are technically skilled and want more of a “project”.
If you’re a digital publisher or news organisation – you can’t go wrong with MobiLoud News.
Get in touch with one of our app experts for a demo and we can get to work on building something awesome.