The short answer to this question is yes, Canvas works with BuddyPress, but since the app relies on your website's mobile design you will need to make sure your theme supports all the available BuddyPress features on mobile devices.
Getting your iOS social app approved by Apple
If you decide to submit your social app to the App Store you will need to make a few adjustments to your website to make sure it complies with Apple's policies for apps that contain user-generated content:
- Require that users agree to terms (EULA) and these terms must make it clear that there is no tolerance for objectionable content or abusive users
- A method for filtering objectionable content
- A mechanism for users to flag objectionable content
- A mechanism for users to block abusive users
- The developer must act on objectionable content reports within 24 hours by removing the content and the user who provided the offending content
BuddyPress notifications (friend requests, messages, posts) will soon integrate with the app's push notifications. This is a feature that is under development and will be implemented in the near future.